Thread: Deer - not bad

Deer - not bad

During the first 10 miles of my drive into work (yesterday morning) I passed 22 deer and 0 cars.
    This morning, I saw a "herd" of 7 young bucks, each 6 - 8 pointers.
    I just thought this was sort of neat.

Re: Deer - not bad

Funny how bucks can be best friends in Aug and Sept but turn into mortal enemies in Oct and Nov.

7 bucks [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Western NH we have better chances of see bull moose than nice adult buck.

I was told that Oklahoma has imported some deer from Colorado. We have deer comiing out our ears. Herds are unballanced due to everyone wanting to shoot something with a rack. We have specoal extended antlerless hunts to try to cull some females. Many of the deer are about the size of large goats, a tad small.

The Colorado deer, as I heard it, are a lot larger. I have seen some larger than usual tracks and saw a couple deer that were very large and well developed in comparison to the typical Oklahoma white tail. Didn't check there visas but suppose they could have been from Colorado. Maybe the mountain lions will selectively reduce the small stature population.

This drought doesn't seem to have reduced the rabbit population as it is burgeoning. With luck maybe the deer will do OK too.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We spent a few hours with some very nice folks at our local Wildlife Management Association on a spotlight deer census Saturday night. It looks like we may have 400 more deer (estimated) than last year, but the herd composition is looking better. Last year, the biggest racks I saw were 6 pointers. This year, reportedly, a number of 10 pointers have been observed. We are in a county where antler restrictions have allowed some of these bucks to walk more than one year. You folks up north may laugh, but these are nice deer for our area.

Jazz, My wife spotted (what she termed a very large deer) less than 100 yds from the back door when she went out at 0700 to fill the bird feeders. Given the abrupt change of size of deer we are seeing, itprobably is the Colorado imports.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We've got a new record. The first vehicle that passed this morning was 5 miles from the front door, but the deer count was up to 31 by that point! It's a bumper crop of fawn.